CALL FOR SCORES: Second Annual BNMI Young Composers Competition
Deadline: August 15, 2016
The Boston New Music Initiative is pleased to announce its second annual Young Composers Competition. The purpose of this competition is to further the mission of The Boston New Music Initiative to support a network of composers, performers, conductors, and directors, in order to generate and celebrate the creation of new music. Incorporated in 2010, the organization aims to advance the careers of its members in the field of new music by serving as a resource for networking, professional development, commissioning, collaboration, and programming.
The 2016 Competition will be open for chamber works of incorporating at least 1 and up to all of BNMI’s core instruments (flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion). No distinction will be made among applicants on the basis of nationality, sex, color, creed, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or veteran status; but composers must be born after January 1, 1996.
Composers currently or formerly on the staff of The Boston New Music Initiative are ineligible. Past competition winners are ineligible to apply.
The winner of this competition will have their work performed by The Boston New Music Initiative on the next concert season (2016-17) and is expected to attend the performance. The winning piece may also be chosen by the Luminarium Dance Company to be choreographed. A travel stipend of up to $250 will be made available to the winning composer.
- Each entry should consist of one (1) anonymous score, in PDF format only, of a work incorporating at least 1 and up to all of BNMI’s core instruments (flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion). Flute (Piccolo/Alto Flute) and clarinet (Clarinet in A/Bass Clarinet) doublings are acceptable.
- An anonymous recording of the work may be included in .mp3 or .m4a format. Recordings are encouraged but not required.
- Composers must be or become either Full or Associate Members of BNMI prior to submitting to this call. Full membership is $20 per year, and Associate Membership is free. This call is free to submit for Full Members who fit the age requirement, while the submission fee for Associate Members is $5 per submission. Please visit www.bostonnewmusic.org/membership to learn more about membership levels with BNMI.
- No name or identifying mark should appear anywhere on the submitted scores or recordings. Any submission that does not meet this requirement will be disqualified and the accompanying application fee will not be returned.
- All submissions must be completed online and accompanying fees paid by 11:59 pm on August 15, 2016. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- The winning composer(s) will be notified no later than September 30, 2016.
- Please address any questions to email@example.com.
Note: Please do NOT send submission materials to this email address as the materials will not be received by the judges using this method.
FAQs and Helpful Hints:
- Please note that new memberships may take up to 24 hours to be approved (although usually much less). Composers signing up as new members who wish to submit to this competition should be sure to allot enough time for the approval process to complete in order to meet the August 15 deadline.
- Once your files have been added for each work, be sure to complete your payment in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Full members must have dues paid in full in order to receive full membership benefits, including discounts on Calls for Scores and commissioning competitions.
- Entry Fees are free for Full BNMI Members, $5 per score for Associate Members. (Composers not currently members of BNMI may join as Associate Members for free.)
- When the winning composer is notified, confirmation of their date of birth must be produced. Failure to prove date of birth will result in forfeiture of the prize and the next highest-rated application will be awarded the prize.
To submit a new composition, visit our Call for Scores for young composers here.