CALL FOR SCORES
FIRST ANNUAL BNMI YOUNG COMPOSERS COMPETITION
Deadline: June 15, 2015
Young Composers Competition. The purpose of this competition is to further the mission of The Boston New Music Initiative to support a network of composers, performers, conductors, and directors, in order to generate and celebrate the creation of new music. Incorporated in 2010, the organization aims to advance the careers of its members in the field of new music by serving as a resource for networking, professional development, commissioning, collaboration, and programming.
The Boston New Music Initiative is pleased to announce its first annual
The 2015 Competition will be open for chamber works incorporating at least 3 and up to all BNMI’s core instruments (flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion) as well as the possible addition of 1 or 2 of the following instruments: additional violin, viola, double bass, oboe, bassoon, trumpet, voice (one, any type).
No distinction will be made among applicants on the basis of nationality, sex, color, creed, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or veteran status; however composers must be born on or after January 1, 1994. Composers currently or formerly on the staff of The Boston New Music Initiative are ineligible.
The winner of this competition will have their work be performed by The Boston New Music Initiative on the upcoming concert season (2015-16). Composers are strongly encouraged to attend the performance, and a modest travel stipend will be available to the winner to help defray the cost of attending.
FAQs and Helpful Hints:
- Each entry should consist of one (1) anonymous score, in PDF format only, of a work incorporating at least 3 and up to all BNMI’s core instruments (flute, clarinet, violin, cello, piano, percussion) as well as the possible addition of 1 or 2 of the following instruments: additional violin, viola, bass, oboe, bassoon, trumpet, voice (one, any type).
- An anonymous recording of the work may be included in .mp3 or .m4a format. Recordings are encouraged but not required.
- Each entry should be accompanied by an entry fee. This competition is free to enter for full members and $5 for associate members. Composers wishing to enter who are not members of the organization may join as either associate or full members prior to submitting. Please visit www.bostonnewmusic.org/membership to learn more about membership levels with BNMI.
- Composers may submit as many scores as they wish; however, each submitted work must be accompanied by a separate entry fee.
- No name or identifying mark should appear anywhere on the submitted scores or recordings. Any submission that does not meet this requirement will be disqualified and the accompanying application fee will not be returned.
- All submissions must be completed online and accompanying fees paid by 11:59 pm on June 15, 2015. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- The winning composer(s) will be notified no later than July 15, 2015.
- Please address any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Please do NOT send submission materials to this email address as the materials cannot be received by the judges using this method.
- Please note that new memberships may take up to 24 hours to be approved (although usually much less). Composers signing up as new members who wish to submit to this competition should be sure to allot enough time for the approval process to complete in order to meet the June 15 deadline.
- Once your files have been added for each work, be sure to complete your payment in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Full members must have dues paid in full in order to receive full membership benefits, including discounts on Calls for Scores and commissioning competitions.
- Entry Fees are waived for Full BNMI Members, $5 per score for Associate Members. (Composers not currently members of BNMI may join as Associate Members for free.)